Monday, October 02, 2006

from Amy Lin
Name of sketch: The Comfort Zone
Name of sketch collection/book: The Comfort Zone: 11 sketches to challenge
Publisher: Chuck Neighbors
Copywrite Date:

On a scale of 1-10, I rate this script 7

The sketch may need alittle modification depending of where it will be performed. Some churches might not be able to take the dialogues of this sketch.

STYLE: Comedy

TARGET AUDIENCE: Churched, Youth

STRUCTURE: It grabs my interest and makes me want to know what happens next. Right from the beginning the script told me that this setting developed in a family (EXPOSITION). The first conflict was introduced when the mum could not agree with what her daughter was wearing for church (INCITING ACTION). Other conflicts were introduced when mom and dad were discussing about the way another church was functioning (RISING ACTION), however, I do not think that there is a very clear rising action here. Due to the lack of rising action, I could not really identify the climax of the sketch. However, if I were to identify the climax, it would be when the mom said that it was inappropriate that there is drama in the church. The rest of the script brings about the DENOUMENT and ended off when the family sets of to church. However, I like the ending of sketch when the mom was humming the same tune as her daughter (some contemporary music) and then change to “Amazing grace”. It made the whole sketch so funny as the mom was complaining about what should not be done in church, but she is doing it outside church.

The theme of this sketch is about people’s perception of church in transition or contemporary church

It is not predictable as I kept on reading, wanting to know what happens next. The dialogues of the sketch are very realistic and as I read on, I agree together with the writer that this may be the things that some people may say.

The sketch is not preachy as it did not bring up any Christian values but just what some Christians perception about other churches

It is an easy sketch to produce; however, it might not apply to every church. The church has to be open minded to accept such a sketch.

No comments: